Monday, March 12, 2012

the space in back of you

i feel particularly heartbroken today. battered by the wind, the hours spent awake.

then suzushi hanayagi allowed me to cry. her wrinkled hands
dancing in my mind.

Robert Wilson's homage, KOOL, to his teacher and friend, suzushi hanayagi, was performed two years ago. Tonight, I saw a documentary, the space in back of you, which was directed by him. The documentary narrates her dance life, and contains interviews of the people who love her and have worked with her.

You can read a review of KOOL here, although this is the image I thought of when I wrote the three lines above.

Even in the footage shown of her dancing, you can't help but feel impacted by the intensity and purity of each of her movements. That intensity pushes you to feel, to be confused and to wonder.

Mind the space in back of you.